Saturday, February 25, 2012

...and now for something completely different.


    So my partner is a martial artist and is, at the moment focusing jiujitsu. He and our roommate were talking about the gis (the outfit you wear when practicing martial arts) and how to wear them properly. Ty mentioned that you cant wear them with the right breast over the left because that manner is only used as funeral clothing (see step 4). In fact this is apparently a rule in traditional Japanese kimonos in general that in life the left breast is over the right and in death the right is over the left. I know that isn't really to with the archaeological part of the course but I found it an interesting piece of applicable random knowledge from my sagely boyfriend.

Right over left in death.
Left over right in life.

2 comments:

  1. The Larch!
    I love random tidbits of information like this! I think that's very cool that something so simple as what side is folded over makes such a big difference to the meaning conveyed. It makes me wonder about all of the possible cultural traditions that we may see in ancient burials but which we don't understand the importance of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I had no idea that there was a difference in something as simple as the way a piece of clothing was worn in their culture.

    ReplyDelete