Saturday, January 21, 2012

Burial in B.C.

So, I found four fascinating forms of alternative burial but have had a bit of trouble finding out if you can actually have them done in B.C.

- Burial at sea
In this method the body is cremated and the ashes are scattered into the sea. I could only find one company, out of Victoria, that advertised this service. They take the family members out to the assigned point and scatter the ashes they then sprinkle flower petals into the sea at the spot. Apparently the paperwork required to do this takes about 8 weeks to process and is so costly and time consuming most people aren't going for it. This is the only disposal option of the four I found that I am certain is legal in B.C.
(http://www.bowersfuneralservice.com/faq.php)
(http://www.marineecotours.com/recreation/boat-charters/scattering-ashes-at-sea-victoria)

- Memorial reef
The body is cremated and included in concrete used to make a reef bud. While the cement is still wet family members are allowed to write messages in it or imprint handprints. The reef bud is then taken out to sea and dropped in to start a new reef. This is a really beautiful means of disposal as it creates a habitat for new sea life and does not take up space on land. I found a company that provides this service in Florida but couldn't find one in B.C. That said, Sidney harbor has an artificial reef so it is not a far step to envisage memorial reefs in B.C. at some point in the future.

This video is of the Neptune Memorial Reef off Miami. Its a long video (5 min) but it really interesting and an extreme example of memorial reefs.
(http://www.eternalreefs.com/)

- Promession
This Swedish invention operates in a similar manner to regular cremation in that the body is on display for the funeral but the casket is then flash frozen and shaken to shatter the body, the pieces were then dried out and put in an urn to be buried. Some say this is possibly the greenest form of disposal. I still haven't managed to find anywhere in B.C. that offers this service but neither have I found anything saying it is illegal.
(http://www.promessa.se/?lang=en)

- Resomation
This method is similar to promession but rather than freezing and shattering the body it is put in a solution that dissolves the body leaving sterile water and the bones which are then crushed and returned to the family. I haven't managed to find anyone in B.C. offering this but that may not be because it's illegal, maybe there just isn't enough demand.
(http://www.resomation.com/)

No comments:

Post a Comment