Its kind of funny that the blog prompt for this week included a question about where we would do a monument analysis if we could choose anywhere in the world, because I was thinking just a few days before about how interesting it would be to study the Hornby Island Cemetery. I grew up on Hornby and miss it all the time so anything to do with Hornby is of interest to me. That said, I don't think I've been to the cemetery more than twice in my life.
It's a very small cemetery, appropriate for a very small island, and is situated on the main road across the island, in a little clearing, just before the community hall and school grounds. There's a rough screen in the form of a row of trees, separating the property from the road. No church is associated with the cemetery and I have a niggling feeling that it was started by some denomination but whatever it was is no longer really acknowledged. The plots in the cemetery are an eclectic mix of religions and styles.
I'm thinking that if I get more than two days on the island in the near future I might just go and do a little monument analysis for fun. But lets be honest, I never get more than two days anymore.
If you want some pictures try this link and click through a few pictures of individual monuments (there should be 7). Avi's flickr site vetoed my attempts to post the photos directly to my blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment